• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alembic "Epic" 1997, quilted Maple top.  (Read 17079 times)
KD
Tree hunter
Administrator
Jr. Member
*****
Posts: 61



View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 10, 2010, 10:32:50 AM »

Hello Guys,
Now I am going to show you an interesting repair of a bass, and publishing here pictures of the repairing process. Sometimes repairing basses or guitars is much harder, much complicated and delicate procedure, which require more attention and accuracy.
I want to start with this one bass - Alembic "Epic" 1997. Originally, and before the bass came to me it looked like this:











KD
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:54:12 PM by KD » Logged

KD
Tree hunter
Administrator
Jr. Member
*****
Posts: 61



View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:05:36 PM »

The owner of the bass Stefan Chobanov (the bassist from the band "Mary Boys Band", www.maryboysband.com), has taken decision to change the lacquer of the bass from standard (for the model) Polyurethane satin finish to Polyurethane high gloss finish, by the reasons obvious from the pics below:

- deep scratches, and deep hits;




- places where the lacquer was completely removed;


- lacquer damages all over the body surface;


Before I start working over the bass I have had long conversations with Stefan about this repair and we were discussing all details and potential effect after the repair;
- what kind of lacquer we have to use;
- will we have sound changes after the new thicker varnish.

For the varnish selection Stefan's wish was clear - Polyurethane high gloss varnish, the same type as the original one.

KD
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:21:21 PM by KD » Logged

KD
Tree hunter
Administrator
Jr. Member
*****
Posts: 61



View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:45:29 AM »

The next stage of the repair is covering all the places which must be protected form the new varnish coat (electronic box, pick up holes, neck), removing the old one varnish, straightening up the surfaces, and fine sanding.









There were also a few deep hits (around 1mm deep) which removing actually require hard and aggressive sanding, a sanding which will change the original geometry and sizes of the bass body. That is why we decided jut to fill them up with a transparent undercoat.

KD
Logged

KD
Tree hunter
Administrator
Jr. Member
*****
Posts: 61



View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:20:51 PM »

After spraying the bass and waiting the varnish to get hard enough for the next stage (fine polishing procedure), the bass looked like this:







The only thing have left is assembling the hardware, electronics, and sound test.

KD
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:27:12 PM by KD » Logged

KD
Tree hunter
Administrator
Jr. Member
*****
Posts: 61



View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »

Here the bass is already assembled and ready for the test:









This is the entire repair procedure shown in pictures. The results of the sound test that I did and the tests that Stefan did were the same. The impressions of the new finish and the sound I prefer Stefan to say more about them, because he knows his bass better than me.

KD
Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: